There are so many Toners out there making it hard to determine what’s going to be right for you. Therefore we’ve made this quick and dirty list to refer to.
Avoid these ingredients in your Toner:
- Steer clear from Alcohol Based Products, (these will only dry you out).
- Anything ending in “Paraben” such as Methylparaben, or Propylparaben. These are preservatives that interfere with hormones. They react poorly with UVB rays which as a result increases skin aging and DNA damage.
- Fragrance is another ingredient you want to avoid. It’s an umbrella term for up to 300 different chemicals. Including Phthalates, Aldehydes, Toluene, and Acetaldehyde, which can have some detrimental side effects.
Look for these Green Beauty ingredients in your Toner instead:
Toners are meant to balance the skin, clean off any residue that may be left from your cleanser, and prepare the skin for your moisturizer/serum. Therefore you’ll want to look for ingredients such as:
- Witch Hazel
- Aloe Vera
- Floral Waters such as Rose and Lavender
- For acne prone skin we recommend Tea Tree, Lavender, and Salicylic Acid
- For dry sensitive skin we recommend Rose, Aloe Vera, and Hyaluronic Acid
our all-time favorite Green Beauty Toners include:
- Alchemy Jane Rejuvenating Toner – great for acne prone skin ($22.00 for 100mls available here)
- Alchemy Jane Hydrating Toner – for dry sensitive skin, and smells like a bouquet of roses for all you floral lovers ($22.00 for 100mls available here)
- Herbivore Botanicals Rose Hibiscus Face Mist – this one has a great tingle affect and helps to slough off dead skin cells ($41.86 for 118mls available here)
- Wildcraft Geranium Orange Blossom Toner – an astringent that helps to minimize pores ($16.00 for 60mls available here)
- Neal’s Yard Remedies Purifying Palmarosa Toner – great for sensitive skin ($45.00 for 200mls available here)
(All above prices listed are in CAD. Prices may vary).